If you have expert knowledge in a particular area, there is a chance you could pursue a career as a consultant. Whether you want to work for a consulting firm or become an independent consultant, there are certain skills you need to have if you want to be successful in your career.
As someone who has always had a strong work ethic, Ilya Movshovich is a successful entrepreneur, community leader, and avid adventurer. His entrepreneurial spirit has given him success in startups and business consulting. Today he shares 12 characteristics of great consultants:
- Knowledgable. Not only do you need expert knowledge, but you have to be able to display and teach that knowledge to others.
- Focused on providing value for the client. Your expertise is only useful so far that the clients can use it to achieve their goals.
- Analytical. You need to be able to ask the right questions and take in information to apply it to the current challenge.
- Problem solver. You don’t shy away from challenges, but you face them head-on.
- Great listener. Not only are you good at simply listening, but you also understand the core of what someone is saying.
- Always learning. You have a natural curiosity that you bring into every situation.
- Ambition and discipline. You always strive to be better and you are willing to put in the work.
- Ability to influence others and be persuasive.
- Communication skills and the ability to relay information in a succinct manner.
- Team player who can work well with others.
- Reliable and trustworthy. Due to the nature of consulting, you are teaching someone about a topic that they have little knowledge of. This automatically puts you in a position of power and responsibility, and the client has to put a great deal of trust in you. Make sure you are worthy of the trust.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
Leave a Reply